DeForest Evangelical Free Church (DEFC) is seeking a full-time pastor/teaching elder to join in ministry in DeForest, WI. Together with the Elder Board, the pastor/teaching elder will oversee the development, organization, and administration of the ministries of this church. The objective is to exhort God’s people to grow in their spiritual life and to equip them for the work of ministry with the goal of making Christ known through personal evangelism and discipleship.
The pastor/teaching elder will be responsible for expository preaching and teaching of the Bible.
Primary Shared Responsibilities:
- Give wholeheartedly to the preaching and teaching of God’s Word during worship services.
- Serve with the elders as guardians of the truth as revealed in God’s Word helping to watch over the spiritual welfare of the church.
- Participate with the elders in the development of the church’s prayer ministry.
- Assist the Elder Board in identifying and developing teachers and leaders.
- Develop a system of personal accountability with the Elder Board, including maintaining a purposeful accountability partnership with another man from the Elder Board.
- Perform other tasks as mutually agreed upon with the Elder Board.
- Meet the biblical qualifications for leadership (1 Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4)
- Agree with and commit to support the faith position of DEFC set forth in our Statement of Faith. The Statement of Faith does not comprise the full extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and proper conduct, is the sole and final source of all that we believe at DEFC.
- Be an active participant in agreement with the Elder Board regarding the interpretation of scripture.
- Demonstrate maturity in the faith and have a definite sense of calling to ministry.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited Bible college or seminary is preferred. However, a combination of formal education and experience is also highly valued.
- Be ordained, or eligible to be ordained by an acceptable church or ecclesiastical group.
- Previous experience in effective pastoral leadership at an evangelical church is desirable but not required.
If after reading this description you have an interest in the pastor/teaching elder position at DEFC, and you feel you meet the qualifications for the role, you are invited to submit the following information for consideration:
- Your resume.
- Links to audio or video of your teaching/preaching, if available.
- Five references, including: One supervisor (could be a board member or seminary professor), two or three colleagues, and one or two personal references. NOTE: These references will be contacted later in the process.
- Written responses to the questions listed below. We believe that one can learn only so much from a resume. Your responses will help us to gain a more complete picture of you and your leadership qualities. Please limit your answer to each question to 400 words or less:
- Describe your faith in Jesus Christ. Tell us how you came to personal faith in Christ (i.e. your conversion story) and something about your journey into ministry.
- Please describe what compelled you to pursue pastoral ministry and why you desire to be or continue to be a pastor.
- What approach to preaching is or will be the approach you follow? Please explain why?
- What are two or three of your core strengths? Please share an example of a situation where you utilized your core strengths to move forward the church or ministry you were leading.
- What theologians, pastors, Christian leaders, authors, or other individuals have made the greatest impact upon your own life and thought? Please explain your choices.
- What is it about the opportunity at DEFC that attracts you to this position?
Please submit your information, including attachments to: